Sunday, September 28, 2014

Quantitative Psychology

My focus area is in Developmental Psychology.
Our school's focus is somewhat in Health Psychology, given the bigger number of faculty and student in that department, which is cool really, because Dev and Health have sooooo many overlapping research areas.
The other program offered within the Psychological Sciences department is the Quantitative Psychology. And this is.. almost like the adopted child of psychology. To me, at least.

First things first, don't get me wrong, Quan Psych is superrrr important to the field of psychological research. It is basically the combination of Advanced Stats and Psych Research.
But that doesn't mean it shows any (obvious) link to psychological research as we know it. It goes into details, somewhat like "behind the scenes" and it is just worlds apart from the journal articles we're so used to reading by now..

I'm in awe of all my quantitative psych classmates now. They're awesome. A little crazy. But awesome.

I've been reading about structural equation and growth parameters and Bayesian theory and I'm getting no where.. T.T
They're interesting, but I feel like I might as well be reading something about quantum physics or astrobiophysics or I don't know.. anthrochemistry. (If any of this exists..)

Somehow, this is a good challenge. Good because it made me realise all the crazy amounts of articles I've been reading really isn't that bad after all. At least I understood 80% of what it says.. And good because I know I chose the right field. And good because.. Well, I guess I'll be more proficient in stats and stuff like that, which would definitely help me in analysis.

So yea, it's a good thing.

And yea, obviously I'm trying (really) hard to be positive about this.



1 comment: